Shatavari Powder | Organic (Asparagus Racemosus)
Shatavari has been used throughout history in India and parts of China. It is a herb that belongs to the asparagus family of plants but shares many visual features with young pine trees. Known as a woman’s herb, Ayurvedic medicine uses Shatavari as an aphrodisiac to encourage conception and support breastfeeding mothers. But Shatavari is not only for women.
Shatavari Root May Support
- Female reproduction, aging women, and monthly challenges
- Male and female reproductive tissue
- Milk production in women, estrogen and hormone production
A normal mood and behavior
- A healthy immune system
- Digestion and Bowel regularity
- A healthy urinary tract
- Cognition, learning, and memory
In a study that examines the claims of Shatavari as a female tonic, researchers found that this herb may provide support for a healthy reproductive system. The study notes that chemical compounds found in this herb may provide temporary relief from occasional pain, may promote comfort during ovulation, may support the healthy mucosal lining found on the tissue of sexual organs, and may promote the normal function of hormones in the uterus during normal aging. Shatavia is also believed to have properties associated with the aphrodisiac activity.
Antioxidants provide support for the normal removal of metabolic waste, metals, or other substances from the body. Antioxidants also support the healthy development of cells and support the structure and integrity of cellular membranes in response to environmental challenges.
Brain And Mood Support
Shatavari is known as an adaptogenic herb. Adaptogens are herbs that provide support for a healthy stress and frustration response; and support for the adrenal glands and the normal regulation of hormones in the brain, including serotonin.
Additionally, extracts from Shatavari were found to promote the interaction of compounds in the brain, which may indicate optimal communication for support of learning and memory functions. In all cases, these effects were attributed to, in part, the antioxidant properties found in Shatavari.
Support for the Pitta Dosha
One aspect of Ayurvedic medicine is the recognition of the body’s interconnectedness (mind, body, and spirit,) the body’s Prakriti (constitution,) the life forces known as the three doshas: pitta, Vata, and Kapha; and the 6 tastes: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter, and astringent.
In Ayurveda, all living things contain space (ether), air, fire, water, and earth. These building blocks of life correspond to the three doshas. The doshas influence the individual's unique traits from moment to moment and during the course of life. However, the doshas fluctuate in response to the weather, a person's current state of emotion, and stress. When out of balance, Shatavari may be ideal to help bring pitta back into balance.
In Ayurveda, Shatavari is considered sweet, which means that it contains water and earth; and bitter, which means that it consists of air and space. It also has cooling properties, which may be ideal for abdominal comfort, healthy-looking skin, and temporary relief from elevated temperatures. Shatavari may also provide support for a healthy digestive system, metabolism, and energy production.
Suggested Use of Shatavari
- Breastfeeding Mothers: Add the dry root to a cup of milk and heat for up to 10 minutes, or until a desirable temperature is reached. Drink early in the morning to promote lactation. Start with 1 teaspoon and after a while, you can take up to 2.
- Energy, Vitality, and Libido: Follow your favorite homemade raw or baked bars or pastry recipes, but add 3-5 grams of root powder per piece. This formula may help to promote energy levels, vitality, and a healthy libido.
- Urinary Tract Health: Mix 5 grams of the powder with a spoonful of honey each night before bed. This combination is believed to provide temporary relief from occasional pain and may support a healthy urinary tract.
- Male Reproductive Health: Mix equal parts Shatavari, ashwagandha, and mucuna pruriens in a cup of milk, let stand for 5 minutes and drink. This formula may support a healthy libido and reproductive function.
◉ Should be stored in airtight glass containers -in a cool, dark, and dry area- to preserve its flavor and properties.
◉ Before adding a new herbal remedy or supplement to your daily routine, you should consult with a medical doctor or holistic health practitioner.