Bearberry (Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi)
Uva ursi comes from an evergreen plant, often known as bearberry, which is called for the grape-like clusters of orange berries that bear consume. Arctostaphylos and uva-ursi both mean "bear grape," the former in Greek and the latter in Latin.
It has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and diuretic properties and can help treat urinary tract infections, painful and frequent urination, and bedwetting, as it can help flush out fluids and toxins from the body.
In addition to treating urinary and bladder conditions, uva ursi is also sometimes used to treat other conditions and symptoms, such as indigestion and constipation, excess uric acid in the urine, inflammation, joint pain, swelling, kidney infections, and bronchitis.
In addition, the leaves of Arctostaphylos have been dried and smoked like tobacco, while leaves and berries have also been used as food.
◉ 1-3 teaspoons of loose tea (or 3g up to 3 times) daily. If more than one herbal mixture is consumed at the same period of time, reduce the amount of tea accordingly.
◉ When herbs are used for an extended period of time, it is suggested to consume a herbal remedy with a ratio of 3 to 1. For example:
- If you choose to take it for 3 weeks, have a one-week pause.
- If it is taken for a 30-day period, have a 10-day pause.
That does not apply to herbs and fruits that have a laxative effect.
◉ Should be stored in airtight glass containers -in a cool, dark, and dry place- to preserve the flavor, texture, and properties.
◉ Before adding a new herbal remedy or supplement to your daily routine, you should consult with a medical doctor or holistic health practitioner.
Herbal Tea Brewing Instructions
- Heat the water to just the point when it starts to boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of loose tea, to a tea infuser or tea bag, for every 180ml - 240ml of water.
- Pour the heated water (right off the boil) over the tea, cover your cup, and steep for 7-10 minutes or longer.
- Add honey or stevia for sweetness, if desired.
Follow these additional steps to make the perfect cup of tea!