Centaury (Centaurium Erythraea)
Also known as centaury gentian, bitter herb, erythraea centarium, and centaury, this is a plant native to Europe, Northern Africa, and Western Asia. It is also found in Eastern Australia and Northern America.
The Centaurium erythraea is commonly taken as tea as a potent antioxidant. It is also known as an effective remedy for liver and gastric conditions. Among its most common applications and medicinal uses are heartburn, bloating, and gas caused by indigestion, lack of appetite, muscular rheumatism, and dyspepsia. The herb can be used safely both internally and externally.
The Centaurium erythraea was and still is prescribed as an antidote for snakebite and other serious poisons. It has made a name for breaking intermittent fevers, which earned the herb the name of “feverwort”. Studies have confirmed that the herb is a potent remedy for gout and rheumatism. It is also highly beneficial when applied to bruises, sores, and wounds.
◉ 1-3 teaspoons of loose tea (or 3g up to 3 times) daily. If more than one herbal mixture is consumed at the same period of time, reduce the amount of tea accordingly.
◉ When herbs are used for an extended period of time, it is suggested to consume a herbal remedy with a ratio of 3 to 1. For example:
- If you choose to take it for 3 weeks, have a one-week pause.
- If it is taken for a 30-day period, have a 10-day pause.
That does not apply to herbs and fruits that have a laxative effect.
◉ Should be stored in airtight glass containers -in a cool, dark, and dry place- to preserve the flavor, texture, and properties.
◉ Before adding a new herbal remedy or supplement to your daily routine, you should consult with a medical doctor or holistic health practitioner.
Herbal Tea Brewing Instructions
- Heat the water to just the point when it starts to boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of loose tea, to a tea infuser or tea bag, for every 180ml - 240ml of water.
- Pour the heated water (right off the boil) over the tea, cover your cup, and steep for 7-10 minutes or longer.
- Add honey or stevia for sweetness, if desired.
Follow these additional steps to make the perfect cup of tea!